Wednesday, March 03, 2010

London!!

Its my second time here in this brilliant city called London. It is perhaps as chilly as my last visit near Christmas and that suits me well, I will take chilly over humid and warm any time. When I compare this place to Mumbai, there are many many many things that are better here than in Mumbai; clean air and environment, polite and warm people, awesome food and drinks, better roads, less of crowds, better party and night scene, much better shopping arcades, wide open and green spaces…and I can go on and on. Yesterday I started thinking of things that are better in India or Mumbai and this place cannot match. And I came up with surprisingly few. If I take away the friends and family that I have in my home country, I can think of pretty much nothing that India can offer me that this place cannot match and better. Yes, maybe the quality of advertisements here needs to be improved. UK has some of the most appalling scripts and actors in the commercials, and our adverts back home are way better any day, even the DoCoMo jingle crap will beat back anything that these guys show on air. Maybe the operational timings of the shops can be better, I mean downing shutters at 7pm on a weekdays is hardly justified. But then that’s it. I almost feel like not going back to India at all. Of course, that’s not in my hands and I will duly complete my 3 week stint and head back to the city of crappy infrastructure, crowds, dust and humidity. So maybe I should enjoy my time here the best I can. And it may just be that there are many things that I cannot perceive right now, which might surface if I am here for longer. In that respect 3 weeks at a time may just be the ideal way to come to this place. Like they say, all good things come in small doses!

1 comment:

Richa said...

Yup..I guess there is the difference between the developing and developed countries..lets hope we go the developed way soon! But there certainly are things which I miss back home..roadside eating, festivals, shopping, enthusiasm of people, bollywood, chai tapris, ..well check my old blog..http://richlandtalk.blogspot.com/2010/02/i-ll-miss.html