Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Shopper's (dont) Stop

I bought an electric iron from Shopper's Stop recently...exactly...3 months back an it malfunctioned about a month back..Since then we were always planning to take it back to the dealer from which it was bought, in this case Shopper's Stop. When i did take it, they first urged me to take it instead to a Philips repair center...the closest being i dont know an hour away. I refused to do so, instead showing them that it was clearly mentioned that in case of any fault, one can take it back to the dealer from whom it was purchased. Grudgingly they accepted, then told me that it would take time for repairs...started by quoting 2-3 days and ending up with 7-1o all the while hoping i would change my mind an take the iron someplace else. I was stood determined. Then they came up with a novel way to refuse. They told me i required the bill in addition to the warranty card, something that was nowhere mentioned. Again i pointed it out, handing them a little white lie that even while purchasing i was told that only the warranty card needed to be handled with care. They held out for some time, initially refusing to get the transaction details from their database. After having tried all their power of persusion, they grudgingly got that piece of information as well. Then in a last ditch effort, they said that there might be a charge despite it being in the warranty period. I told them to call me up before getting it repaired in case there was a charge although i did not expect a charge as it was still in the warranty period. Now i expect a call anytime, telling me that there would be a charge so that they would be relieved of this task of getting the iron repaired. Well, i have learnt one important lesson from this and would like to advise all of you reaing this piece as well...If its an electronic item you wish to buy, dont shop at the Shopper's Stop.

No comments: